Leaf Leaf
hired by an employer in China

Foreign employees enjoy the same privileges as local employees in terms of minimum salary, working hours, standards of hygiene and rest, and leave provisions. If a foreigner is to be hired by an employer in China, a Work Permit and a Residence Permit must be obtained.

In general, to obtain a Work Permit and a Residence Permit, a foreign employee shall not have a criminal record, be at least 18 years old and in good health, have a valid passport or other travel document, and have the necessary professional skills required for the relevant position, generally, 2 years of work experience in the field of the position are required.

Foreigners’ work permits in China are categorized under A, B or C grades by earning the associated amount of points under the point scoring system, or by fulfilling a condition that directly places them in a given category.

Applicants scoring 85 or more points qualify for Tier A; those scoring 60-85 class as Tier B; and those scoring below 60 fall under Tier C. Calculation of points depends on several criteria such as salary, education, work experience, time spent in China, Mandarin proficiency, location of employment in China, age, etc.

Foreign talents meeting specific conditions (awarded for excellence in their field, prize holder, etc.) can directly have access to a grade A work permit.

Individuals falling into the A category can enjoy several benefits not enjoyed by grade B and C workers, including faster administrative procedures.

-> This article may also be of interest to you:

– What is the procedure for a foreign employee to obtain a Work Permit and a Residence Permit?

… …

To know more, download our legal handbook related to Employment in China…

16 Jul 2020  -  Employment Law
Is it compulsory to sign a labor contract?

In the situation of full-time employment, the signature of a written labor contract between the employer and the employee is compulsory. The contract shall be signed before the end of... View Article

working conditions
15 Jul 2020  -  Employment Law
What are the mandatory working conditions for employees in the PRC?

Minimum Salary: the minimum salary requirement is determined at the municipal or provincial level. For example, the updated monthly minimum salary in Shanghai, Beijing and Shenzhen in 2020 is RMB... View Article

15 Jul 2020  -  Employment Law
What is the use of an Employee Handbook?

The Employee Handbook can be considered as a “Code of Conduct” for the employees. It provides for mandatory terms and processes that are not always included in standard labor contracts.... View Article